The year 2021 has been an exceptional year for us at SELL Foundation Nigeria; milestones were recorded despite the challenges faced. As the year draws to an end, we are optimistic that the ensuing year will be favorable and better. Despites challenges encountered in the outgoing year (2021), we were able to record some key activities which includes: Advocacy visits, trainings, Annual General Reflection, Field work, Awareness Campaign/ tree planting, Strategic planning meeting, Workshops among others.
- ADVOCACY/COURTESY VISITS: In the course of the implementation of the 2021 project, SELL Resource team alongside community SELL volunteers embarked on advocacy visits to stakeholders and partners across the North East and Plateau States to consolidate on existing relationships and push for the domestication and implementation of the child right act law and Violence against persons prohibition (VAPP) law especially where the laws are yet to be passed or domesticated.
- TRAININGS: Sharing Education and Learning for Life Foundation in 2021 continued with it second phase of the three (3) year multi annual project on Child Safeguarding and Protection; Peace and Conflict Resolution/Countering Violent Extremism. The trainings in 2021 took place in Borno, Jos, Bauchi, Shendam and Pankshin respectively. The training aimed at providing participants with the necessary skills and strategies to prevent and counter violent extremism and also brought together people from different youth groups, civil society organizations, traditional/religious bodies, government agencies and SELL volunteers.
Mentoring training: Sharing Education and Learning for Life Foundation, Nigeria trained twenty five (25) selected volunteers of the SELL programme across the North East and Plateau States that could serve as mentors in their respective communities.
- ANNUAL GENERAL REFLECTION (AGR): As part of our approach to bring together SELL volunteers, SELL Foundation Nigeria marked its 2021 Annual General Reflection (AGR) with the theme: The role of SELL Volunteers in building peaceful and model communities. The 2021 AGR brought together SELL volunteers across the North East and Plateau States and featured some key activities, some of which includes: Field visit, processing of experience from field visit, Capacity building on Developing and publishing on YOUTUBE, How to write a compelling Curriculum Vitae, Sales Exhibition, Business meeting among others.
- AWARENESS CAMPAIGN/TREE PLANTING: As part of our core mandate to promote ecology and care for the earth, SELL Foundation Nigeria embarked on tree planting campaigns in Miya, Ganjuwa Local Government area of Bauchi state and Bauchi state capital to raise awareness among the people on the importance of planting and protecting the trees for the good of the environment, SELL donated tress to families and households as well planted some in St. Lukes Academy, Miya.
- FIELD VISIT TO DOGO NA HAUWA: SELL Resource team alongside SELL volunteers embarked on field visit to Dogo Na Hauwa, a community in Jos South Plateau State where over six hundred (600) persons including women and children were brutally massacred in 2010. The purpose of the visit was to interact with the people of the community so that SELL volunteers who are championing forgiveness and reconciliation in their communities will learn from their experiences as peace and forgiveness has been restored back to the community.
STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETING/REVIEW: As part of organizational growth and development, SELL Foundation had it second strategic planning meeting/review which will serve as a guide to the Foundation in the next five (5) years. The Strategic was reviewed to help us evaluate our achievements, where we are and what we need to include in our programs in the future for efficiency and effectiveness.
- MONITORING/OVERSIGHT VISIT: SELL Foundation was pleased to receive Kevin O’Hara, St. Patrick’s District Leader, Miss Grace Osang, Accountant/Secretary and Mr. Raphael Okusaga Child safeguarding officer of the St Patrick’s Missionary Society on oversight/monitoring visit to SELL office in Bauchi. The purpose of their visits was to ensure adherence to the terms and conditions of Misean Cara as an implementing organization.
- SELL COMMUNITY TEAMS: SELL foundation has a network of trained volunteers otherwise known as SELL facilitators spread across the North Eastern States in Nigeria and in Plateau State. These highly motivated volunteers facilitate formation programmes with young and vulnerable people in their various communities through Workshops, Talks, interpersonal discussions, networking and referrals
- HAUSA COMPONENT OF THE SELL PROGRAMME: We recognize the role of Hausa language in the implementation of our programmes in communities of the North East and have continued to integrate the translation of SELL programmes from English to Hausa language. In the year under review, we trained SELL facilitators from our catchment communities on the prevention of Gender Based violence/Gender Reconciliation.
CONCLUSION: The year 2021 wouldn’t have been successful without you; we want to use this opportunity to extend our profound gratitude to all those who have been part of our journey especially our funders, partners, stakeholders and our amiable facilitators for all your support in ensuring our 2021 target was achieved.
Thank you; Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year in advance. Think and Choose!
Miss Emily Ranna Yinala